The Raton Science Cafe will present the DVD, "The Electromagnetic Spectrum". Earth Science Week is October 10 -16, 2010. This year's topic is "Exploring Energy". The electromagnetic spectrum is one of many types of energy, with light being the most common example. This 35 minute DVD will cover radio waves, microwaves, infrared waves, visible light waves, ultraviolet light waves, x-rays, and gamma rays. Although we call the latter two types 'rays', they are really waves. The video explains how these waves are formed by man or other processes, their unique properties, how we use them, and other fascinating facts. We thank Ms. Susan Welch, of the New Mexico Institute of Mining & Technology, Socorro, NM, for the large packet of educational material she has provided. It will be donated to Raton High School after the meeting.
The presentation will be followed with food and drink refreshments.
- The library has a new AWE Literacy Station geared for children aged 2 to 8 years old. (See post.)
- Book signing for author of "The Adventures of Stinkerpup" Isis Grayling on Saturday, June 3, from 2 - 4 p.m.
- Summer Story Hour "Make A Better World" is coming! Beginning Wednesday, June 14th, this seven week program will continue every Wednesday from 10 - 11 a.m. through July 26th. (See post.)
- The Arthur Johnson Memorial Library Board will hold their next meeting on Tuesday, May 16, 2017, at 5:30 p.m. in the meeting room at the library.
- Are you interested in joining a new Writer's Group? Meetings held on Fridays, at 10:00 a.m. This is for any writer who wishes to meet with other writers. Beginners, experienced, published, unpublished, writers of fiction, non-fiction, memoirs, bloggers - all are welcome.
- Preschool Story Hour is conducted every Wednesday morning at 10:00 a.m. We read books to the children and there is a project every week. It's never too soon to introduce your children to the library!
- Schedule a meeting at the library. Call 445-9711 to get on the calendar in advance. The library stays open until 6:00 P.M., Monday - Saturday, except for Thursday, when it stays open until 9:00 P.M.