Audio and visual Playways are a new feature at our library. Picture books and chapter books in these new formats are available for checkout. Playaways are small, hand held audio and visual materials that come with ear buds. Each case holding a Playaway has instructions for use on the left inside cover of the case. They are simple enough to use that even I can figure it out, which means that your children will have them mastered after one use.
Audio books have been a part of our collection for some time, but have always required the use of a cassette or CD player. A Playaway is a small self-enclosed system that travels easily wherever you and your child may go. They are a convenient way to keep children happy and occupied with no external noise and little adult help needed except for very young children.
The library has purchased a selection of picture book Playaways with multiple picture books on audio Playaways and visual Playaways, and audio chapter books for children.
Playaways use ear buds for quiet use while traveling in the car, when adults are busy and children are waiting, times when noise is not appreciated, or just for drawing a child into the private world of books. The audio Playaways use rechargeable batteries which are checked out with the Playaway and must be returned in the case with the Playaway. The video Playaways use an internal rechargeable battery and are checked out with a charger that must also be returned. Ear buds will be sold at the desk for $1.00 each and will become the property of the person purchasing them. They can then be used by that person with any Playaway checked out thereafter. (Selling ear buds individually will prevent the spread of colds and flu.)
Adult audio Playaways are also available for purchase by the library, but due to the cost of each Playaway, the library has decided to begin with children's materials. The selection of Playaways available is displayed on laminated sheets so that parents and children can see what each Playaway holds and choose what they would like to check out. Desk staff will be happy to check out your choice after our Playaway Policy has been read and signed by the child's parent and notes stating this has been done have been placed on both parent's and child's computer record. A demonstration on how to use the Playaways will be given at your request.
Come in and see what we are talking about. Any child raised in this era of technology and gadgets will love to give a Playaway a try, and we will be interested in your opinion when you bring them back!
"Essential Oils For Women's Health"
- "Essential Oils for Women's Health", a FREE class presented by Tarin Giacomo, will be held at the library on Saturday, October 14th, at 2:00 p.m. Learn how to support balanced hormone levels, healthy immunity, a restful night's sleep and more using natural essential oils. We look forward to seeing you!
- Crafts With Nikkie, a new children's program, will be held on Thursday, August 17th at 4:00 p.m. in the meeting room. Come and make a beaded necklace!
- The library has a new AWE Literacy Station geared for children aged 2 to 8 years old. (See post.)
- Book signing for author of "The Adventures of Stinkerpup" Isis Grayling on Saturday, June 3, from 2 - 4 p.m.
- Summer Story Hour "Make A Better World" is coming! Beginning Wednesday, June 14th, this seven week program will continue every Wednesday from 10 - 11 a.m. through July 26th. (See post.)
- The Arthur Johnson Memorial Library Board will hold their next meeting on Tuesday, May 16, 2017, at 5:30 p.m. in the meeting room at the library.
- Are you interested in joining a new Writer's Group? Meetings held on Fridays, at 10:00 a.m. This is for any writer who wishes to meet with other writers. Beginners, experienced, published, unpublished, writers of fiction, non-fiction, memoirs, bloggers - all are welcome.
- Preschool Story Hour is conducted every Wednesday morning at 10:00 a.m. We read books to the children and there is a project every week. It's never too soon to introduce your children to the library!
- Schedule a meeting at the library. Call 445-9711 to get on the calendar in advance. The library stays open until 6:00 P.M., Monday - Saturday, except for Thursday, when it stays open until 9:00 P.M.