This summer the meeting room was repainted and re-tiled for the first time since the 1995-1996 renovation. It has a fresh new look, thanks to the efforts of Leonard Zamora, city employee. Further improvements will be folding doors in the previously 3 open doorways that lead into the collection. Blackout shades will be hung. This fall the improvements will conclude with the installation of a new large screen TV and two gaming systems that will be available for use in the library when the meeting room is not scheduled.
The meeting room is availble for scheduling for non-profit meetings and events. Call the library at 445-9711 to make use of this free space.
- Crafts With Nikkie, a new children's program, will be held on Thursday, August 17th at 4:00 p.m. in the meeting room. Come and make a beaded necklace!
- The library has a new AWE Literacy Station geared for children aged 2 to 8 years old. (See post.)
- Book signing for author of "The Adventures of Stinkerpup" Isis Grayling on Saturday, June 3, from 2 - 4 p.m.
- Summer Story Hour "Make A Better World" is coming! Beginning Wednesday, June 14th, this seven week program will continue every Wednesday from 10 - 11 a.m. through July 26th. (See post.)
- The Arthur Johnson Memorial Library Board will hold their next meeting on Tuesday, May 16, 2017, at 5:30 p.m. in the meeting room at the library.
- Are you interested in joining a new Writer's Group? Meetings held on Fridays, at 10:00 a.m. This is for any writer who wishes to meet with other writers. Beginners, experienced, published, unpublished, writers of fiction, non-fiction, memoirs, bloggers - all are welcome.
- Preschool Story Hour is conducted every Wednesday morning at 10:00 a.m. We read books to the children and there is a project every week. It's never too soon to introduce your children to the library!
- Schedule a meeting at the library. Call 445-9711 to get on the calendar in advance. The library stays open until 6:00 P.M., Monday - Saturday, except for Thursday, when it stays open until 9:00 P.M.
Saturday, August 5, 2017
Thursday, June 1, 2017
The AJM Library is happy to announce that we now have an AWE Learning Station. This AWE Station is geared for children aged 2 to 8 with over 70 pre-loaded programs (no internet connection for safety purposes) and 4,000 activities that promote literacy and school readiness. These programs follow the STEM/STREAM learning goals with activities in numbers/math, letters/reading including sight words, phonics and writing, science, social studies/geography, art and music. It includes a color coded keyboard to help children locate letters, numbers, symbols and command keys, as well as a mouse and touch screen, Before we had installed it one hour, a four year old came in with his mother and headed directly to it. This AWE Station sits in the children's section and we hope both children and parents will enjoy using this very child friendly and happy way to learn early and keep ahead in the early grades. Come take a look! (Please sign up at the front desk for use.)
Summer Story Hour, "Make A Better World!", is coming! A seven week program, it will begin on Wednesday, June 14th and continue every Wednesday through July 26th from 10:00 - 11:00 a.m. There will be reading, crafts and handouts from children through preschool and younger through the 5th grade. (Older children who are interested are also welcome.) As always, we will hand out reading logs each week. As children read or are read to during the week, each title should be written down on the log and turned in the next week at Story Hour. They can also count the books read to them during Story Hour. According to how many books are logged, they will be given library dollars to spend in the library store which carries prizes for various 'prices'. The handout for the first week will be a book for each child to take home and keep, purchased by the library through the Scholastic Literacy Partnership. Looking for something for your children to do? Summer Story Hour Makes a Better World!
Thursday, May 4, 2017
Overdrive E-book collection now at the Library.
The Arthur Johnson Memorial Library is pleased to announce that we have access to e-books our patrons can check out via our catalog, accessible from the comfort of their own home.
Please contact Library Staff for further information at (575)445-9711
Now at the library remote access to our catalog from the comfort of your home.
Starting today May 4, 2017, you will be able to request a password to login to our library catalog.
With access you will be able to see what you have checked out, your reading history, and what items we currently have in our collection.
When you search the catalog you can place a hold on items that you would like to enjoy. You can place six holds per card. If the item is checked out you will be added to the que and called when it is your turn to checkout the item. If the item is not checked out, we will notify you via the portal when you item is pulled and waiting for you. Once you are contacted, the item will be held for one week.
With access to the catalog you will also have access to Overdrive for e-books.
Ask the staff today to set up your access.