The library sponsored Zoo To You on Wednesday, August 10th. The display is never here longer than two hours so that the animals don't get stressed, and before we even opened our doors at 10:00 A.M. that morning, we had a line forming outside. It took half an hour to get everyone in the building. Over 186 adults and children came to see a baby alligator, a Kingsnake, a rattlesnake (with fangs but no venom), a hedgehog, a guinea pig and an Australian parakeet (who loved all the attention!) Other artifacts like animal skins were available for touching and feeling. The docents who brought "Zoo To You" to the library were wonderful in the way they handled the animals out of their containers and cages so that everyone could have a good look. They also were a mine of information on each creature and the artifacts. For example, did you know that a Kingsnake is imperious to a rattlesnake bite? In fact, Kingsnakes kill rattlesnakes. They kill their prey by constriction, just like a boa constrictor, and often have colorful skins.
Thanks to the community for attending this exhibit. We hope you had a good time - we certainly did!
"Essential Oils For Women's Health"
- "Essential Oils for Women's Health", a FREE class presented by Tarin Giacomo, will be held at the library on Saturday, October 14th, at 2:00 p.m. Learn how to support balanced hormone levels, healthy immunity, a restful night's sleep and more using natural essential oils. We look forward to seeing you!
- Crafts With Nikkie, a new children's program, will be held on Thursday, August 17th at 4:00 p.m. in the meeting room. Come and make a beaded necklace!
- The library has a new AWE Literacy Station geared for children aged 2 to 8 years old. (See post.)
- Book signing for author of "The Adventures of Stinkerpup" Isis Grayling on Saturday, June 3, from 2 - 4 p.m.
- Summer Story Hour "Make A Better World" is coming! Beginning Wednesday, June 14th, this seven week program will continue every Wednesday from 10 - 11 a.m. through July 26th. (See post.)
- The Arthur Johnson Memorial Library Board will hold their next meeting on Tuesday, May 16, 2017, at 5:30 p.m. in the meeting room at the library.
- Are you interested in joining a new Writer's Group? Meetings held on Fridays, at 10:00 a.m. This is for any writer who wishes to meet with other writers. Beginners, experienced, published, unpublished, writers of fiction, non-fiction, memoirs, bloggers - all are welcome.
- Preschool Story Hour is conducted every Wednesday morning at 10:00 a.m. We read books to the children and there is a project every week. It's never too soon to introduce your children to the library!
- Schedule a meeting at the library. Call 445-9711 to get on the calendar in advance. The library stays open until 6:00 P.M., Monday - Saturday, except for Thursday, when it stays open until 9:00 P.M.