Residents and small businesses in the Raton area will soon have the opportunity to improve their computer and Internet skills when the award-winning "Fast Forward New Mexico" training program comes to the Arthur Johnson Memorial Library in April, May and June.
The mission of Fast Forward New Mexico is to increase statewide broadband adoption and promote computer literacy and Internet proficiency in order to better prepare residents to participate in economic development and educational opportunities. The initiative also reaches out to entrepreneurs, artists and small businesses.
The eight Fast Forward New Mexico hands-on training courses are divided into two types of classes. The Basic Skills Series covers topics such as email, online job applications, and Internet searches and also educates people about taking online courses and purchasing the right computer. The Small Business Success Series teaches entrepreneurs and small businesses how to increase their profitability by using Internet tools to reduce costs and increase sales through e-commerce, e-marketing, and social media. Each class is 6 hours long and will be given three times in one week. Each class is 6 hours and is spread over two days: Thursday and Friday morning, or Thursday and Friday afternoon. The third time the class is given will be on Saturday morning and afternoon.
Basic Courses will begin on April 12 and are for people who have always wanted to learn how to use a computer and had difficulty finding someone to teach them. Students can learn how to set up a computer, search the Internet and use email.
Small Business Success Series classes will start May 3. Instructors will introduce students to new ways to improve and manage their business with technology, sell their products online and reach customers everywhere.
An Open House/Kick Off event to introduce the community to the training program will be held from 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm on Saturday, March 31, at the library located at 244 Cook Ave. The public is invited to come and learn more about the free training and get assistance registering for classes. Refreshments will be provided by FFNM.
More information and registration for training classes is available at the library. You can also call the library at 445-9711. Registration can be done in advance of the Kick-Off event. People should try to register as soon as possible to ensure they have a spot in these popular classes.
"Essential Oils For Women's Health"
- "Essential Oils for Women's Health", a FREE class presented by Tarin Giacomo, will be held at the library on Saturday, October 14th, at 2:00 p.m. Learn how to support balanced hormone levels, healthy immunity, a restful night's sleep and more using natural essential oils. We look forward to seeing you!
- Crafts With Nikkie, a new children's program, will be held on Thursday, August 17th at 4:00 p.m. in the meeting room. Come and make a beaded necklace!
- The library has a new AWE Literacy Station geared for children aged 2 to 8 years old. (See post.)
- Book signing for author of "The Adventures of Stinkerpup" Isis Grayling on Saturday, June 3, from 2 - 4 p.m.
- Summer Story Hour "Make A Better World" is coming! Beginning Wednesday, June 14th, this seven week program will continue every Wednesday from 10 - 11 a.m. through July 26th. (See post.)
- The Arthur Johnson Memorial Library Board will hold their next meeting on Tuesday, May 16, 2017, at 5:30 p.m. in the meeting room at the library.
- Are you interested in joining a new Writer's Group? Meetings held on Fridays, at 10:00 a.m. This is for any writer who wishes to meet with other writers. Beginners, experienced, published, unpublished, writers of fiction, non-fiction, memoirs, bloggers - all are welcome.
- Preschool Story Hour is conducted every Wednesday morning at 10:00 a.m. We read books to the children and there is a project every week. It's never too soon to introduce your children to the library!
- Schedule a meeting at the library. Call 445-9711 to get on the calendar in advance. The library stays open until 6:00 P.M., Monday - Saturday, except for Thursday, when it stays open until 9:00 P.M.