The library is pleased to host a reading and book signing by Larada Horner-Miller on Saturday, October 1, 2016, from 1:00-3:00 p.m.
Her novel, "When Will Papa Get Home?", follows forty-year-old Maria as she remembers her childhood in the old rock and adobe house known as the "Philly place", named after her father, Philadelphia Gonzales. Located a few miles east of Branson in southeastern Colorado, she remembers anxiously awaiting her papa's return in 1928. The novel explores the lives of Mexican-Americans who moved west and their struggle with prejudice and cultural barriers during the 1920s and '30s.
About the author: Larada Horner-Miller lived and taught language arts in Raton in the 1990s. She is now retired after a 27 year career teaching middle school. Although she lives above Albuquerque with her husband, she also co-owns and manages a ranch in southeastern Colorado with her brother. "The Philly Place" is now on her aunt's ranch. Her imagination was sparked after she found a marble while exploring this old homestead on her family ranch.
- The library has a new AWE Literacy Station geared for children aged 2 to 8 years old. (See post.)
- Book signing for author of "The Adventures of Stinkerpup" Isis Grayling on Saturday, June 3, from 2 - 4 p.m.
- Summer Story Hour "Make A Better World" is coming! Beginning Wednesday, June 14th, this seven week program will continue every Wednesday from 10 - 11 a.m. through July 26th. (See post.)
- The Arthur Johnson Memorial Library Board will hold their next meeting on Tuesday, May 16, 2017, at 5:30 p.m. in the meeting room at the library.
- Are you interested in joining a new Writer's Group? Meetings held on Fridays, at 10:00 a.m. This is for any writer who wishes to meet with other writers. Beginners, experienced, published, unpublished, writers of fiction, non-fiction, memoirs, bloggers - all are welcome.
- Preschool Story Hour is conducted every Wednesday morning at 10:00 a.m. We read books to the children and there is a project every week. It's never too soon to introduce your children to the library!
- Schedule a meeting at the library. Call 445-9711 to get on the calendar in advance. The library stays open until 6:00 P.M., Monday - Saturday, except for Thursday, when it stays open until 9:00 P.M.