The library is excited to announce a book signing on Saturday, November 14, from 2 - 5:00 p.m. for a new book on Colfax County. Authors Stephen Zimmer and Gene Lamm will be signing copies of their book "Images of America : Colfax County" published by Arcadia Publishers. It is full of excellent photographs, each one with historical information included, and covers periods including first inhabitants, frontier times, ranching, railroading, mining and lumber. This book is excellent for anyone interested in the history of Colfax County, it's occupations and individuals. Sources for the photographs include this library, the Old Mill Museum, the Library of Congress, the Philmont Museum, the Santa Fe Trail Museum, Southern Methodist University and a variety of individuals and families. Photographs and facts have been pulled together from these and other sources to give a wonderful overview of the history of Colfax County and those who lived and worked here.
Local history books on our specific area are so rarely published that
this book will add immeasurably to those who always want more about
Raton, Springer, Maxwell, mining camps, ranching, settlers, railroads
and all the various fascinating aspects of our local history of the
west. A compendium of photographs and facts pulled from multiple
locations, it makes it easy to actually see and learn about what
historical times in Colfax County were like.
This book will make a
great gift this holiday season for anyone who has a passion for local
history. Relatives who have moved away, descendants of those who lived
here during these historical periods, history buffs, genealogists,
families of coal miners, ranchers and railroaders - it's a perfect gift
tailored to please them.
"Essential Oils For Women's Health"
- "Essential Oils for Women's Health", a FREE class presented by Tarin Giacomo, will be held at the library on Saturday, October 14th, at 2:00 p.m. Learn how to support balanced hormone levels, healthy immunity, a restful night's sleep and more using natural essential oils. We look forward to seeing you!
- Crafts With Nikkie, a new children's program, will be held on Thursday, August 17th at 4:00 p.m. in the meeting room. Come and make a beaded necklace!
- The library has a new AWE Literacy Station geared for children aged 2 to 8 years old. (See post.)
- Book signing for author of "The Adventures of Stinkerpup" Isis Grayling on Saturday, June 3, from 2 - 4 p.m.
- Summer Story Hour "Make A Better World" is coming! Beginning Wednesday, June 14th, this seven week program will continue every Wednesday from 10 - 11 a.m. through July 26th. (See post.)
- The Arthur Johnson Memorial Library Board will hold their next meeting on Tuesday, May 16, 2017, at 5:30 p.m. in the meeting room at the library.
- Are you interested in joining a new Writer's Group? Meetings held on Fridays, at 10:00 a.m. This is for any writer who wishes to meet with other writers. Beginners, experienced, published, unpublished, writers of fiction, non-fiction, memoirs, bloggers - all are welcome.
- Preschool Story Hour is conducted every Wednesday morning at 10:00 a.m. We read books to the children and there is a project every week. It's never too soon to introduce your children to the library!
- Schedule a meeting at the library. Call 445-9711 to get on the calendar in advance. The library stays open until 6:00 P.M., Monday - Saturday, except for Thursday, when it stays open until 9:00 P.M.